Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Reuben by the roadside east of Upper Sandusky, Ohio


Reuben by the roadside east of Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Originally uploaded by walk4healthcare

Reuben actually stopped by the roadside to walk with me. He told me the story of his nephew, who’s an Ob-Gyn doctor in Maryland. “His entire paycheck nearly all goes to malpractice insurance,” Reuben told me. “Insurance companies are trying to get everyone who can pay, even by coercion.” He told me he thinks it’s important to keep the profit mongering out of the health insurance business. “It's devastating,” he added. In terms of his own health insurance, as a child he survived Hodgkin’s disease but has recently been diagnosed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

“It’s a risk factor of childhood Hodgkin’s disease,” I told him.

“Yes, I know.” Though his insurance was “80/20,” as he put it, he did pretty well.

“That’s good,” I said as we took a rest by the roadside.

No comments:

Post a Comment